The Innovation Fund invests in solutions that can impact the lives of the most vulnerable children. We find these solutions clustered around $100 billion industries like emergency and epidemic response, transport & delivery, identity, finance, learning, personal data and related fields. The stories of these innovations are featured in the UNICEF Stories blog.
Financial and technological support from UNICEF’s Venture Fund is available for companies that can show a strong founding team and a clear path to improving the lives of children.
If you’ve got a start-up registered in one of UNICEF’s programme countries (see complete list here) and have a working, open source prototype (hardware or software) showing promising results, the UNICEF Innovation Fund is looking for you.
We invest in solutions that can impact the lives of the most vulnerable children. We find these solutions clustered around $100billion industries like emergency and epidemic response, transport & delivery, identity, finance, learning and personal data.
Who are we seeking?
We are seeking open-source projects that have already been started - you’ve been running it for a while - it shows some positive indicators - but you need funding to take it to a level where it can really attract additional investment and funding by generating real data.
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
Check that your company and project meet all the eligibility requirements
- You must be registered as a private company
- Your company/institution must be registered in a UNICEF programme country
- You’re working on open source technology solutions or willing to be open source under the following licenses or their equivalent:
(i) for software, a BSD license,
(ii) for hardware, a CERN license and
(iii) for design or content, a CC-BY license
- You have an existing prototype of the open source solution with promising results from initial pilots
- Your solution has the potential to positively impact the lives of the most vulnerable children
- Your project generates publicly-exposed real-time data that can be/is measured
Deadline: The application period is open for one or more cycles a year
Cost/funding for participants:
The UNICEF Innovation Fund can help with these kinds of investments between $50,000 and $90,000 to support the acceleration of your company’s work.