The United Nations University (UNU) is a global think tank and postgraduate teaching organisation headquartered in Japan. The mission of the UN University is to contribute, through collaborative research and education, to efforts to resolve the pressing global problems of human survival, development, and welfare that are the concern of the United Nations, its Peoples, and Member States. UNU encompasses 13 research and training institutes and programmes located in 12 countries around the world.
UNU Institute for Integrated Management of Material Fluxes and of Resources (UNU-FLORES)
As part of the United Nations University (UNU), the Institute helps build a bridge between the academic world and the United Nations. UNU-FLORES develops strategies to resolve pressing challenges in the area of sustainable use and integrated management of environmental resources such as water, soil, and waste. Focusing on the needs of the UN and its Member States, particularly developing countries and emerging economies, the Institute engages in research, capacity development, advanced teaching and training, as well as dissemination of knowledge. In all activities, UNU-FLORES advances a Nexus Approach to the sustainable management of environmental resources.
Under the supervision of the Digital Communications Editor, the successful candidate will support communications, advocacy, and knowledge management aspects of UNU-FLORES, particularly in the realm of digital media. Assignments may include:
- assist to create and curate engaging content
- assist with providing research and editorial support for documents, reports, papers, and other communication materials
- research topics of interest to UNU-FLORES in the field of environmental resource management
- work with academic content and develop related communications pieces for various audiences
- support the development of UNU-FLORES’ website and social media channels
- assist with conceptualisation and implementation of engaging campaigns on UNU-FLORES research and activities
- assist with building online communities
- assist with monitoring UNU-FLORES’ digital media activity
- collaborate with staff on new ideas, directions, and venues for digital communications
- perform other tasks assigned by the supervisor
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
Required qualifications and experience
- The candidate must be currently pursuing or have recently completed postgraduate studies (master’s degree or equivalent), or be in the final year of the first university degree programme (bachelor’s level or equivalent), in the field of communications sciences, journalism, or other social science subjects; applications from non-students will be accepted only in exceptional cases.
- The candidate must have proficient knowledge of English; knowledge of other official UN languages or German would be an asset.
- Strong interest in the work of the United Nations University, international development, and environmental resource management.
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), and previous experience with tools such as Buffer and content management systems are an asset.
- Quality orientation
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment and prioritise between multiple projects
Deadline: As soon as possible
Cost/funding for participants:
Please note that interns are not financially remunerated; selected candidates have the responsibility of arranging their own travel and accommodation and living by themselves.