United States of America
International Student Cultural Scholarship (ISCS) is open to all new and returning F-1 and J-1 international students.
The International Student Cultural Scholarship is awarded automatically to the new students during their first semester at UHV. If students wish to receive the scholarship beyond the first semester, students must maintain the International Student Cultural Scholarship (ISCS) requirements listed below.
The scholarship award is available for:
- A maximum of nine semesters (4.5 years) for undergraduate international students meeting the eligibility requirements listed below.
- A maximum of five semesters (2.5 years) for graduate international students meeting the eligibility requirements listed below.
Students will be notified via email on cancellation, appeal deadlines, appeal decisions and awards. It is the student’s responsibility to determine their eligibility to apply, maintain, reapply and appeal for the scholarship and be aware of the respective deadlines.
The University of Houston-Victoria in Victoria, Texas, offers a unique combination of excellent, affordable and personalized academic and leadership opportunities to empower students to become successful 21st century citizens in an increasingly complex world. Accredited and nationally ranked programs are offered at an affordable price with automatic scholarship opportunities available to international students. UHV graduates are given the tools they need to make their mark in society.
At the University Of Houston Victoria, International Programs functions as a catalyst for internationalization and a hub for all things International for our International Student and Scholars.
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
All international students must meet the following requirements to be eligible to receive the International Student Cultural Scholarship (ISCS)
- New F-1/J-1 international students must be admitted to UHV before the scholarship is awarded. Once the student is admitted, the scholarship amount will be listed in the students immigration document I-20
- U.S. transfer international students must be in good immigration status prior to their transfer to UHV
- All new international students must attend the mandatory international student orientation and plan to arrive five business days prior to class start date.
- Scholarship recipient must pay all outstanding university bills on or before the due dates.
- No application necessary, students will be awarded the scholarship automatically during their first semester. If student fails to maintain the scholarship requirements, students must submit the Scholarship Appeal to the International Programs Office. The International Programs Scholarship Committee will review the appeals and make a decision.
Requirements to maintain the International Student Cultural Scholarship
Please note, all international students must fulfill the following requirements to receive the International Student Cultural Scholarship.
- Undergraduate international students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.5
- Graduate international students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Contribute 10 volunteer hours every semester (fall and spring) to UHV, Victoria community, showcasing/sharing your culture. International Programs Office will host such events, taking part in International Programs sponsored events will cover all the 10 volunteer hours per semester. The events will be emailed to students every Wednesday when school is in session. Mandatory international student orientation will cover instructions of the scholarship in depth.
Requirement based on Immigration Status
- You must be admitted at University of Houston-Victoria (UHV) as an International Student who is on F-1 or J-1 visa or planning to obtain one of those two immigration status upon enrollment.
- Students on work visas such as H-1B or other non-immigrant status’ WILL NOT qualify for the International Student Cultural Scholarship.
- F-1 or J-1 students on pending permanent residency statuses may be still eligible for the Cultural Scholarship that same semester, however, the following semester after their SEVIS record has been change to permanent resident, they will not be eligible for the Cultural Scholarship.
Students who are not eligible
- Graduate students receiving a graduate assistantship or tuition scholarship or other waivers
- UHV Athletes receiving Athletics Scholarships and other waivers
- Students receiving International Student Merit Scholarship
- Students receiving any other UHV tuition scholarships and waivers
- Students on other non-immigrant visa categories
Deadline: The application period is open for one or more cycles a year
Cost/funding for participants:
- The scholarship covers $3000 per year ($1500 per semester, fall and spring semester).
- Scholarship only applies to the out-of-state tuition and fees.
- Additional fees and costs of attendance are not included in this scholarship.