Deadline: As soon as possible
Ecologia Youth Trust is part of the Findhorn Community, an international holistic education centre and United Nations (UN) recognised eco-village, established 50 years ago in Scotland. We currently run volunteer programmes in Kenya. Our Kenya volunteers programme offers you a unique opportunity to immerse yourself in Kenyan life and culture while gaining first-hand experience of working with an internationally-respected grassroots organisation that is dedicated to developing cutting-edge community empowerment and sustainable development solutions.
International Peace Initiatives (IPI) is a local community organisation in Meru, providing a range of innovative programmes to support women and children affected by HIV/AIDS and poverty. IPI runs projects to improve the health and livelihood opportunities of extremely poor and/or HIV+ mothers, and supports their children’s care and education. It also runs The Kithoka Amani Community Centre (KACH) which cares for the most vulnerable children suffering from the effects of HIV/AIDS who can no longer rely on any family support.
Whilst volunteering at the project you will have the chance to:
- Help care for children who live at KACH
- Help teach English to children in the local schools
- Work on the project’s farm or at one of the women’s workshops
- Explore the local area with trips to the local town/sightseeing/safari (optional)
We recommend our volunteers stay for 3 months. This gives you time to settle into daily life, find your place, get to know the children and the adults, and make a real contribution.
What kind of work would you do?
- Constructing an eco-building using locally available construction materials
- Promoting nonviolence and conflict transformation in communities and schools
- Supporting a women’s cooperative to develop small business enterprises
- Practising sustainable agriculture on the organic farm
- Teaching English to KACH children or local primary school children
- Supporting women’s and children’s human rights advocacy efforts
- And much more!
Opportunity is About
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate
All nationalities are welcome and we accept volunteers of all ages, as long as you are 18 or over. Our programme is open to anyone who feels they have something to contribute: useful skills include being able to teach music, IT, arts & crafts, ESL, and sport.
You might be an undergraduate, studying International Development, who is keen to gain practical experience of grassroots efforts to bring about sustainable social change. Perhaps you have an interest in permaculture and eco-farming, or are on a gap-year and looking for meaningful volunteering opportunities and the chance to immerse yourself in daily Kenyan life. You may be a linguist wishing to build fluency in Kiswahili whilst making a social contribution in country, or you could be an active retiree simply looking to share your skills and work/life experience.
Deadline: As soon as possible
Cost/funding for participants
Internships, scholarships, student conferences and competitions.