United States of America
Supply Chain Optimization (SCO) is a global team of approximately 125 people within SML driving business performance in the area of service market logistics. We design the service market supply chain in terms of material planning and footprint. We enable customer success through an optimized supply chain from suppliers to customers – balancing service levels, tied-up capital and transport cost and performance.
Are you passionate to solve problems by leveraging data? …and have fun along the way? Then come join our team for this excellent internship opportunity.
Position description summary:
The Supply Chain Optimization Intern position will be part of the Demand and Inventory Planning (DIP) / Operational Planning (OP) North America team within the SCO organization. This intern will support the Demand and Inventory Planning team by building and enhancing supply chain data analytics tools.
Purpose of the position:
- The SCO internship role provides students with the opportunity to apply academic knowledge and skills in a professional environment, and to promote the graduate’s career goals through contact with professionals in their field of study. The internship experience enables students to participate in professional activities for Volvo Group Service Market Logistics by working on projects for the SCO NA group. Internships are structured learning experiences where interns and our full time professionals work together on projects within their selected organization. The internship allows students to integrate knowledge and skills in a manner that is mutually beneficial to the student and Volvo Group Service Market Logistics.
- The internship position is for the Spring of 2022, and the specific work days and hours will be flexible, but agreed upon with the hiring manager.
- Leverage Power BI, Python / R and advanced analytics tools and techniques to visualize demand and inventory data in support of supply chain parameter changes.
- Develop and improve data structures, in order to enhance data accessibility, quality and efficiency.
- Improving existing supply chain optimization models (total cost, forecast parameters) in Python / R.
- Identify, analyze and interpret trends or patterns in complex data sets.
- Weekly Writing Assignments: Brief written summaries of the learning experiences and project updates may be required.
- Project Presentations: Formal project presentations may be required to be presented to peers, management, and senior leaders within the organization.
- Performance Feedback: Throughout the entire experience, the manager will provide verbal and written feedback on work performance. At the end of the internship, each intern will be given a formal written evaluation based on their work performance.
Expected Commitment: This internship will require up to 30 hours per week during the Spring 2022 semester, with the specific working schedule to be agreed upon with the hiring manager.
The Volvo Group drives prosperity through transport solutions, offering trucks, buses, construction equipment, power solutions for marine and industrial applications, financing and services that increase our customers’ uptime and productivity. Founded in 1927, the Volvo Group is committed to shaping the future landscape of sustainable transport and infrastructure solutions. Countless career opportunities are offered across the group’s leading brands and entities that share a culture of Trust, Passion, High Performance, Change and Customer Success.
A new era is here. Technologies such as big data, automation and artificial intelligence are changing the way we look at manufacturing and logistics. Volvo Group Trucks Operations is the organization responsible for truck manufacturing and logistics within the Volvo Group and is shaping future industries.
Volvo Group Trucks Operations encompasses all production of the Group’s engines and transmissions as well as the production of Volvo, Renault and Mack trucks. The organization is also responsible for spare parts supplies to the Group’s customers and for designing, operating and optimizing logistics and supply chains for all brands. Together, Volvo Group Trucks Operations represents 30,000 employees at 30 plants and 50 distribution centers across the globe. Our global industrial footprint offers an opportunity for an international career in a state-of-the-art industrial environment, in which continuous improvement is the foundation. Join our teams as well!
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
Essential skills and minimum education requirements:
- Applicants must be currently enrolled and pursuing a degree in Mathematics / Statistics, Industrial Engineering, Data Analytics or a related field, at an accredited school. Master’s degree is a plus.
- Applicants should be interested in pursuing a professional career in Logistics / Supply Chain Management, Data Science or a related field.
- Applicant must have completed 30 semester hours prior to the start of the internship and have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0.
- Applicants should be proficient in Microsoft Office Applications (Excel, Access, Word, and PowerPoint).
- Applicants ideally will have experience with visualization tools (specifically PowerBI), programming (R/Python) and supply chain modeling.
- Applicants ideally will have knowledge of supply chain concepts like economic order quantity, safety stock, forecast errors and bias, and inventory health.
- Competency and Knowledge Areas
Strong analytical and problem solving skills:
- Proficient at learning new technologies
- Effective professional verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Customer Service
- Technical Skills
- Peer Relationships
- Integrity and Trust
- Standing Alone
- Action Oriented
Deadline: September 30, 2021
Cost/funding for participants:
Employment/assignment type: Internship/Trainee/Co-op
Besides the competitive levels of salary, compensation and specific benefits, you will work in a value-driven company where your voice is heard and your ideas matter. In the Volvo Group, important aspects of salary setting include your own performance and willingness to change and develop, your capacity to utilise the opportunities for internal mobility or for international work, and your leadership potential. We work together to enable you to design your own career.