Australia China Hong Kong Singapore Worldwide
The Westpac Asian Exchange Scholarship supports undergraduates eager to contribute to Australia’s success in Asia. Do you want to be part of the Asian Century?
Are you curious about what Asia has to offer? Aside from its economic potential, it remains one of the most exciting regions in the world.
Our Asian Exchange Scholarships will immerse you in everything this region – ultimately forging long lasting and meaningful relationships between the next generation of young Australian and Asian leaders.
“China is truly amazing. There is much opportunity for those with great ideas who are willing to venture beyond the confines of their comfort zone.” - 2018 Westpac Asian Exchange Scholar, Mitchell Francis.
Up to two semesters in China, Singapore or Hong Kong. One experience of a lifetime.
That’s the promise of our Asian Exchange Scholarship. And unlike most scholarships, this one is designed to give you the leadership skills that can help shape your future. It’s a genuine cultural experience to open your mind, develop your thinking, and offer you networking opportunities with some of the best Australia-Asia thought leaders and support networks.
We’ve already done the networking for you.
As a Westpac Asian Exchange Scholar, you’ll become part of the Westpac 100 Scholars Network. Lifelong membership to this network gives you access to one of Australia’s most diverse meetings of like-minds. Drawing on the Scholars’ strong sense of purpose and desire to collaborate, the network is designed to be inspiring, influential and a life-long learning experience.
Our Partner Universities
We have partnered with eight leading Australian universities to deliver the Asian Exchange Scholarship.
- The University of Adelaide
- The Australian National University
- The University of Melbourne
- Monash University
- The University of Queensland
- The University of Sydney
- University of New South Wales
- University of Western Australia
- 17 June: Applications for Semester 2, 2021 open
- 10 January 2021: Applications close.
- February 2021: Notification of outcome
- Exchange begins Semester 2, 2021 (Australian Semester Timing)
- August 2021: Leadership Development Program
What do Fellows do after completing the program? What type of professional and personal development support does the Acumen Fellows Programs offer?
Acumen is invested not only in each Fellows’ growth over the course of the year-long program, but also in their development as lifelong agents of fighting poverty or injustice. After completing the first year, Fellows may receive continued mentorship and coaching. Acumen also has a very active and growing network of social sector organizations, thought leaders, and Fellows across the globe.
We engage all Acumen Fellows through events, newsletters and subsequent recruitment and selection processes. In addition, after the program the Fellows become part of a community of moral leaders who are fighting poverty or injustice in their region and across the world.
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
Who can apply?
- An Australian citizen or permanent resident
- Studying full time at a participating Australian university (all fields of study are eligible)
- Enrolled in second year or beyond when commencing their exchange
- Holding a minimum of a credit average
- Intending to do a one or two semester exchange, commencing in Semester 2, 2020
Who are we looking for?
Scholarships are open to students from all walks of life, who have the passion, ideas and drive to be an advocate for Australia's relationship with Asia. Westpac Asian Exchange Scholars will demonstrate the following:
- A clear understanding of Asia’s role in Australia’s future prosperity.
- A desire to learn about a specific Asian culture, language, tradition or business through a combination of academic study and cultural immersion.
- The potential and ambition to contribute to strengthening Australia-Asia in their future endeavours.
- A genuine desire to be an active member of the Westpac 100 Scholars Network.
Where can I study in Asia?
You can attend any university in the regions of mainland China, Hong Kong and Singapore, provided that there is an exchange agreement in place with your Australian university.
Deadline: January 10, 2021
Program Starts: August 01, 2021
Program Ends: July 31, 2022
Cost/funding for participants:
Valued at $12,000, the scholarship supports undergraduates who are interested in Asia, and want to actively contribute to Australia's success in Asia in their chosen field.