United States of America
White & Case employs over 2000 lawyers and more than 200 legal assistants located in 38 offices around the world. We thrive on innovation and diversity and the benefits that such qualities afford our clients and ourselves. Clients choose to work with us because we have unparalleled expertise and passion to solve the complex issues that affect the success or the very survival of their organizations. Our open door policy promotes candid communication among partners, associates, legal assistants and staff. We attract dynamic people with formidable talents and we encourage them to be both generous with their knowledge and forthright with their questions.
White & Case is an elite global law firm serving leading companies, financial institutions and governments worldwide. Our long history as an international firm means we are perfectly placed to help our clients resolve their most complex legal challenges wherever they may be.
With lawyers operating from more than 40 locations, working in virtually every country of the world, we have invested heavily in building a high-quality full-service practice competing at the top of the market. We are distinguished by our on-the-ground presence in the world’s key financial markets and our strengths in handling complex cross-border work.
It’s not just about our global network of offices; it’s the global interconnectedness of the Firm that our people, and our clients, value most. We work well together across geographic and practice boundaries. It’s one of the reasons we attract and retain cross-border work. And why we attract a diverse group of people.
Our lawyers are globally minded, enterprising, collaborative and committed to excellence. Diversity is a core value of our Firm and it has been recognized with numerous awards and top rankings around the world. Our people represent 90 nationalities and speak 80 languages.
Capital Markets Legal Assistants work under the supervision of attorneys in providing legal services to clients. Their responsibilities vary depending upon the practice group to which they are assigned. They may also work with other personnel (e.g. other legal assistants, Practice Technology, Global Technology Services, librarians, Professional Support Lawyers, Marketing professionals, practice assistants, copy center, mailroom, etc.) at the Firm in delivering legal services to clients. Capital Markets Legal Assistants will be requested to perform other duties as required.
Duties and Accountabilities
- Acquire an understanding of the mechanics of corporate representation, including corporate housekeeping and transactional matters. This will be achieved by attending legal assistant training sessions, corporate practice group and section seminars, database training sessions and through general on-the-job experience.
- Become familiar with the legal and factual issues of matters
- Utilize a variety of resources including on line sources to perform factual and legal research
- Organize, maintain and distribute files/documents as requested
- Coordinate closings and post closing aspects of transaction (coordinate logistics of on line and in person closings, prepare closing sets, and oversee E-Bible creation)
- Contact government agencies and perform on line research to obtain publicly available information
- Incorporate companies under the direction of an attorney
- Draft standard closing documents (receipts, officer’s certificates)
- Prepare schedules and tables to agreements
- Prepare initial drafts of closing checklists
- Conduct definition checks, cross reference checks and editing of documents using applicable software
- Prepare materials for submission to government agencies (e.g. SEC-EDGAR; FINRA filings)
- Contact clients, attorneys, service organizations and other professionals in connection with transactions, with the approval of the supervising attorney
- Proofread and blackline documents, including familiarity with Workshare software
- Develop knowledge of software programs to perform work, e.g. iManage, Legalkey, Excel, Bloomberg Law, Worksite, Intelligize, Lexis/Nexis, Securities Mosaic
- Create databases, charts, graphs, tables, etc. for analysis of data and prepare written memoranda re: same
- Process invoices related to vendor services contracted on behalf of a client or attorney
- Prepare daily time entries and submit bi-weekly overtime reports for services performed.
- Partner with legal assistant manager and/or director of legal assistants to formulate yearly goals.
- Develop a plan of action to achieve yearly goals.
- Utilize firm technology resources to enhance work product delivered to clients.
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
- Four year college degree with a minimum G.P.A. of 3.5
- Strong academic background
- Clear and concise writing skills
- Good verbal communication skills
- Related work or internship experience in a corporate or law firm environment
- Good organizational skills
- Knowledge of word processing software
- Ability to follow through on projects
- Ability to work under pressure and with a variety of personalities
- Willingness and ability to work overtime and long hours
- Excellent professional references
- Good judgment
- High ethical standards
- Ability to travel as needed