The WFP Innovation Accelerator sources, supports and scales high-potential solutions to hunger worldwide. We believe the way forward in the fight against hunger is not necessarily in building grand plans, but identifying and testing solutions in an agile way. The Innovation Accelerator is a space where the world can find out what works and what doesn’t in addressing hunger—a place where we can be bold, and fail as well as succeed. Apply for financial support, mentorship and access to WFP operations, partners & technical experts.
How It Works
At the Bootcamp in Munich, Germany, selected teams deep dive field-level challenges, ideate solutions and refine project plans. WFP introduces participants to cutting-edge innovation techniques, such as human-centred design and lean start-up, to create viable business models and use cases for WFP and its beneficiaries.
The week-long Bootcamp culminates with Pitch Night – an opportunity for teams to share their solutions with an audience of investors and industry leaders who can help them bring to scale.
The best teams are selected to participate in a 3- to 6-month Sprint Programme, where they receive up to USD 100,000 in funding, field access and hands-on support, so that they can test the solution’s impact and scalability for WFP. To support implementation, the Accelerator helps teams connect with a global network of mentors, including private sector and non-profit experts, donors and WFP Country Offices.
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
If you are a start-up...
- Your start-up must be incorporated at the time of application. It can be for profit or not-for-profit.
- Your innovation must at least be at the Minimum Viable Product (MVP) stage. Proof-of-concept and initial traction is preferred.
- Your solution should be financially viable.
- Your proposal must show how working with WFP will serve your long-term strategy.
If you are a WFP employee...
- Your team must have evidence of Country Office support and management buy-in.
- You are encouraged to apply, regardless of your contract type or function.
- We accept project applications from WFP employees who are collaborating with NGOs, government or private sectors.
How We Select Innovations
Applications submitted to the WFP Innovation Accelerator are assessed according to a standard set of criteria, and are reviewed by both WFP and external experts. Please note that we prioritize projects that are designed alongside our core users—vulnerable communities—and that show initial traction and market validation to ensure impact and maximize cost effectiveness. We are looking for innovations that meet the following expectations:
- Impact for the people we serve and potential to reach Zero Hunger
- Feasibility, including time to deliver impact, technology maturity, and user traction
- Level of innovation
- Financial sustainability with a clear business case that does not rely on WFP funding
- Team strength, experience, and commitment
Deadline: August 31, 2020
Cost/funding for participants:
What We Offer
- Funding: Apply to receive up to $100,000 in equity-free funding, with further funding dependent upon progress and measurable achievement of key targets.
- Access to WFP Operations: Successful teams will work with WFP units on the ground to further develop and refine their solutions.
- Hands-On Support: You'll have the chance to work with technical and industry mentors who will provide guidance and accelerate your progress.
- Networking: Teams will be able to tap into and leverage our strong network of public, private, and government partners to accelerate implementation.