Germany Italy Spain
The European Master in Translational Cosmetic and Dermatological Sciences (EMOTION) is a two-year 120 ECTS, English-taught, joint program, which focuses on Research & Development (R&D) and heavily includes transversal and transferrable skills. The first intake will be in the academic year 2021/2022 and the deadline for applications will be on February 16th.
EMOTION trains the next generation of R&D leaders in the dermatological and dermacosmetic field, but at the same time provides sufficient know-how to allow graduates to work in other pharmaceutical and cosmetic R&D sectors. The aggregate market for medicines and cosmetics in the world is over two trillion euros, 10% of which is solely for skin disorders.
EMOTION is a two-year Masters degree funded by the European Commission. Scholarships, that cover tuition and subsistence, are available both for European and non-European students. All courses are taught in English and students will study in at least two of the partner Universities. In the last semester, a personalized program will bring the student to perform her/his thesis work either in industry or in academia.
EMOTION is open to all motivated and bright students that want to undertake a career in R&D, contributing to the development of new drugs or new cosmetics. The program is focused on skin and provides dedicated workshops to foster tomorrow’s leaders in the field.
The EMOTION consortium is composed of the University of Piemonte Orientale (UPO; Italy), the University Miguel Hernández (UMH; Spain) and Humboldt University (HU; Germany) via a collaboration with Charité Universitätsmedizin Berlin.
In the first year, that will be held in Italy, courses on anatomy, physiology, pharmacology, dermatology, regulatory affairs, pharmaceutical technology and medicinal chemistry will be taught together with workshops on project management, drug discovery, and peculiarities of the pharmaceutical and cosmetic sectors.
In the first semester of the second year, students will be allowed to choose whether to deepen their knowledge in preclinical (in Spain) or in clinical (in Germany) research. Workshops in the second year will include communication, job seeking skills and know-how for entrepreneurship.
In the second semester of the last year, the students will have the possibility to carry out their thesis work in industry or in academia.
At the end of the program, students will be expected to be able to actively contribute to the development of products. Alongside research, students will have a know-how of market dynamics.
It is envisaged that most graduates will work in pharmaceutical industries or in cosmetic industries carrying out research and development programs.
It is important to note that both fields are economically important and are expanding, as there is a constant need for innovation in drugs and cosmetics. Health and wellbeing, including healthy aging, are priorities in the modern world. Importantly, the master intends to stimulate students towards entrepreneurship, and thereby develop their own businesses. Last, while the course is designed to provide an in-depth knowledge on skin, it provides solid basis for working in research and development of any pharmaceutical or cosmetic field.
A generous number of scholarships, for both European and non-European citizens, are provided by the European Commission. Students that will not be eligible for the scholarships will nonetheless be allowed to participate in the program provided they meet the merit requirements.
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
Admission to EMOTION requires:
- A Bachelor degree from a recognized academic higher education institution (equivalent to a European undergraduate degree of 180 ECTS – 6 semesters) or a Master degree in a field related to the EMOTION area(Pharmacy, Medicine, Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Biomedical Sciences, Genetics; Molecular Biology). The grade average of the previous study should prove high qualification of the applicant.
- The proof of English proficiency documented by an internationally recognized certificate (at least level B2).
Deadline: February 16, 2021
Cost/funding for participants:
For the intake 2020/2022, the course will be dedicated to a maximum of 30 students. 15 Erasmus+ EMJMD EMOTION scholarships will be available.
The deadline for applying for scholarships will be on February 16th, 2021.
Erasmus+ scholarship eligibility rules (set by EACEA):
- Minimum 75% of the grants must be allocated to Partner country** students.
- Partner country** student who has lived or carried out their main activities in a Programme country* for more than 12 months in the past 5 years will be considered as a Programme country* student.
- Maximum 3 grants will be allocated to students from the same country.
- Students with more than one nationality must state with their application under which one are willing to apply.
- Contribution to subsistence costs will not be given to the scholarship holders for the EMJMD periods (study/research/placement/thesis preparation) spent in their country of residence, nor to scholarship holders from a Partner country** for the EMJMD periods exceeding one trimester (i.e. 3 months or the equivalent of 15 ECTS credits) spent in any Partner country**.
* Programme countries: EU member countries plus former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Turkey.
** Partner countries: Other countries which are not considered as Programme countries.
Scholarships will cover the following items: