Online Switzerland United States of America
Docip, or the Center for Documentation, Research and Information, was created in 1978 on the initiative of indigenous delegations attending the first International Conference on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, which was held at the United Nations (Geneva, 1977). Docip is a Swiss not-for-profit foundation whose primary objective is to support Indigenous Peoples in defence of their rights, mainly within the framework of the UN and European institutions
Volunteering for Docip offers a valuable personal and professional experience working alongside indigenous delegates at the United Nations. Docip provides students and motivated professionals from various countries around the world with unique opportunities to volunteer, whether on a short- or long-term basis, either on-site or by e-mail, during international conferences on indigenous issues held in Geneva and New York. Volunteers put into practice their knowledge and experience to provide logistical support to indigenous delegations coming from all corners of the planet. They also acquire new skills while growing both personally and professionally.
Depending on our needs, we call for:
- translators TO and FROM English, Spanish, French and Russian;
- interpreters TO and FROM English, Spanish, French and Russian;
- help desk staff for technical support and assistance with transporting and installing our computers during the conferences;
- people willing to help indigenous delegates change their plane tickets or perform other similar administrative tasks;
- people willing to make photocopies for delegates during the conferences;
- people to gather interventions in the conference room and process them for our archives, including categorizing and uploading the documents to our website; and
- volunteers for missions such as accompanying indigenous delegates around the city or to international organizations.
Join our volunteer network
- Are you concerned about indigenous issues and want to contribute in some way to their struggle?
- Are you comfortable working in a fast-paced and international environment such as the United Nations?
- Would you like to get involved with an NGO working on the international level that meets and supports indigenous delegates from all over the world?
Then we are looking for you to join our team as a volunteer!
How you get involved
Sign up now or contact volunteers(at)docip.org for more information.
Click on the boxes below to read or listen to the testimonials of some of our volunteers.
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
Deadline: The application period is open for one or more cycles a year
Cost/funding for participants:
Unfortunately, we are unable to contribute financially to expenses related to transportation or accommodation of volunteers. However, a small lunch allowance is provided each day to volunteers working onsite during the conferences.