Austria Belgium Bulgaria Croatia Cyprus Czech Republic Denmark Estonia Finland France Germany Greece Hungary Iceland Ireland Italy Latvia Liechtenstein Lithuania Luxembourg North Macedonia Malta Netherlands Norway Portugal Romania Serbia Slovakia Slovenia Spain Sweden Switzerland Turkey United Kingdom
Erasmus+ supports traineeships (work placements, internships, etc) abroad for students currently enrolled in higher education institutions in Programme countries at Bachelor and Master level as well as for doctoral candidates. These opportunities are also open to recent graduates.
By doing a traineeship abroad with Erasmus+, you can improve not only your communication, language and inter-cultural skills, but also soft skills highly valued by future employers, as well as become more entrepreneurial. Read more about the benefits of an exchange abroad.
You can also combine your Erasmus+ traineeship with a study period abroad.
Access to Erasmus+ Online Linguistic Support will help you learn the language used at your workplace.
Your traineeship abroad can last from a minimum of 2 months to a maximum of 12 months.
You can benefit of an exchange abroad with Erasmus+ multiple times, either as a student or as a trainee, but your total time abroad (study abroad periods included) may not exceed 12 months within one cycle of study.
"Cycle" refers to the level of study as defined by the European Qualifications Framework (EQF):
- First cycle (Bachelor or equivalent) EQF 5/6
- Second cycle (Master or equivalent) EQF 7
- Third cycle (Doctoral or equivalent) EQF 8
For "one-cycle" courses such as medicine or architecture, you can go abroad with Erasmus+ for as long as 24 months.
You can also go for a traineeship abroad as a recent graduate. In this case, your traineeship must occur within one year of your graduation and you must apply while still being enrolled in your higher education institution.
How to apply
You can apply through the international or Erasmus+ office of your higher education institution. You are selected by your sending higher education institution in a fair and transparent way.
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
- This opportunity is open for students registered in a higher education institution holding an Erasmus+ Charter for Higher Education.
- Your traineeship must be relevant for your degree-related learning and personal development needs and, wherever possible, be integrated in your study programme.
- You may carry out a traineeship at any organisation in an Erasmus+ Programme Country (with the exception of EU institutions, bodies and agencies).
Deadline: The application period is open for one or more cycles a year
Cost/funding for participants:
- You may receive an Erasmus+ grant as a contribution to your travel and subsistence costs and extra funding is available for traineeships. It may vary according to differences in living costs between your country and the destination country, the number of students applying for a grant, the distance between countries and the availability of other grants.
- If you are moving between Programme countries, check with your National Agency and your sending higher education institution for applicable rates. There is also extra support for students from disadvantaged backgrounds or from outermost Programme countries or regions.