The Australian Institute of International Affairs seeks students from Australia and throughout the world who are interested in completing a voluntary internship. Regular internships are offered in Sydney, Melbourne and Canberra (National Office). Places may also be available in Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra (ACT Branch) and Hobart depending on branch needs.
NATIONAL OFFICE IN CANBERRA
A customised program is designed for each of the AIIA’s National Office interns according to the intern’s learning and career development needs. It can include a mix of training and practical experience in events, communications and office management.
The AIIA has some flexibility to adapt its internship programs to suit individual needs:
- Internships can focus on events management and/or communication tasks, including website development, social media and publications.
- Internships can be full-time or part-time (minimum one day per week) for a 3-12 month period. Placements less than 3 months are rare.
- Internships at National Office can be for academic credit through a university program.
- Interns will be provided with support including induction, regular supervision, access to events and opportunity to work with other interns.
Applications to National Office can be made at any time during the year and will be considered according to the ours timeline.
For commencement date:
- February-April (Applications must be received by: 1 November)
- May-July (Applications must be received by: 1 February)
- August-October (Applications must be received by: 1 May)
- November-January (Applications must be received by: 1 August)
RUSSELL TROOD INTERNSHIP – AUSTRALIAN OUTLOOK EDITOR
The AIIA is proud to be able to offer the Russell Trood Internship thanks to the generosity of Russell Trood FAIIA, former president of AIIA Queensland and AIIA Fellow. This 3-month internship is for the Editor of the AIIA’s popular international affairs blog, Australian Outlook, and provides a $1000 honorarium to reimburse the costs of the voluntary internship. The Editor is required to work 4-5 days per week.
Apply now by selecting Australian Outlook Editor on the AIIA National Office internship application form and following the instructions.
AIIA NSW IN SYDNEY
Applications to AIIA NSW should be made to the NSW Intern Coordinator by emailing email@example.com. Information on the internships program in Sydney is available.
AIIA VIC IN MELBOURNE
Applications to AIIA VIC should be made to firstname.lastname@example.org using ‘Internship Enquiry’ as the subject line.
AIIA FOR WA IN PERTH
The WA Branch is not accepting internship applications.
AIIA QUEENSLAND IN BRISBANE
Please view our internships page and join our Facebook page for information specific to Qld internships.
Applications to other Branches should be made to the relevant Branch.
Opportunity is About:
Candidates should be from:
Description of Ideal Candidate:
You will need to exhibit a high degree of independence and excellent planning skills. Interns are treated as valuable members of the AIIA team and given as much responsibility as they can handle. You need to be self-directed and you would take on a range of projects that you work on autonomously with regular supervision.
Deadline: The application period is open for one or more cycles a year
Cost/funding for participants:
Unfortunately, internships are unpaid and interns need to be able to cover their costs and living expenses.